I have an interesting history when it comes to scripture reading. In the time before I was married I probably read the Book of Mormon through 4-5 times. After marriage, not so much. Especially after having kids. I could hardly keep my eyes open driving home from work, let alone for reading. I don't think I ever read anything more than a magazine article for many, many years.
Then I decided I needed (or wanted) to do better at this. I actually had little success. I couldn't remember for the life of me to read my scriptures. So, one night I decided to pray that I would remember to read my scriptures. Guess what? It worked. My prayer was answered. Every night after I was already comfy in bed, I would remember that I hadn't read my scriptures. And that only infuriated me and it ticked me off that I wasn't reminded BEFORE I got in bed. Well, I do have a stubborn streak which took over, and finally I remembered no more.
Don't get me wrong. I have always read scriptures now and again. A verse or two at a time. But I wanted to read from start to finish and remember and understand at least most of it. So a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give it another shot. I skipped 1Nephi because I'm pretty sure I have that whole chapter memorized! But I have been reading every day (well, almost every day) and enjoying it. I think a new habit may have been formed.
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Our Relief Society (Stake) put together a booklet to read the Book of Mormon in 100 days. Its great - it tells you what to underline and has a quote from a conference talk that relates to that section. I'm a little behind, but trying to catch up!
ReplyDeleteI never thought to pray to remember to read my scriptures- that's a good idea. I've changed my study a little bit to pace with the RS manual. So each week my scripture studdy is focused on the upcoming lesson and I use the lesson and the scripture references to guide my study. I've learned a lot.
ReplyDeleteI saw your comment on my dress- Shabby Apple is online only, I think. They sell modest dresses that are really pretty. Sylvia loves Shabby Apple. It's possible they have a storefront in Utah, but they certainly don't have one here in Mississippi.