Laughter is the shock absorber that eases the blows of life.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Funeral Potatoes

Honestly, I had no idea there was even such a thing as "funeral potatoes."  Our family has been eating these for probably 20 years without my knowledge.  All I knew was that Sean's mom served this delicious potato casserole for a holiday dinner she hosted at her house soon after we were married.  She sent me the recipe, and we've been enjoying them ever since.

One of my Dublin friends mentioned to me a couple of years ago that she was making "funeral potatoes" for the meal following a memorial service.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  And then to my horror, she described perfectly this wonderful potato casserole we had been enjoying all these years.  Now, I can't make these potatoes without thinking of death ( one of  the "D" words we were never allowed to talk about at the dinner table growing up).

What made me think of this?  Well, I just finished baking this wonderful dish that smells so yummy, but it's not for us.  Alas, today they are "funeral potatoes."

2 comments:

  1. I bet they're good - why don't you send me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let the dead take care of the dead--WE WANT POTATOES! :-)

    ReplyDelete